Blog updates

Sunday, 5 August 2012

ChromeMarks update - 2012.08.05

Time for another update!

Firstly, I completed missed the fact that in the middle of June, ChromeMarks Lite reached 500,000 downloads. That's a phenomenal number and I never dreamed of getting so many downloads for a single app! Especially since that app has only been out there for less than two years. Thank you to everyone who's downloaded the app - still many more new features yet to come!

 The usual release notes are below:
  1. The FolderPicker has been completely revamped. The previous version was a custom built widget. It used a webview, so jquery and a lot of crunching via javascript to generate the content. Unfortunately that expects some quite tight coupling between the webview and my code. Looks like ICS devices seem to have some issues with this and a few users are reporting a blank white screen. The folder picker used to look like this:

    The new version now looks like this:

    The new widget no longer uses a WebView or any of the clunky javascript. Although it's still a custom built widget, it's using more of the "standard" components. Ok, it may not have as much colour to it, but it should be more compatible with all devices. It should also open quicker since it doesn't need the WebView overheads. Another bonus with the rewrite is that the folders are now shown in the same order as they are displayed in the rest of the app - so if you order by Chrome order, last modified or alphabetical - they should show the same in the FolderPicker.
  2. A short while ago, Google made some changes to the way they tag bookmarks in the chromesync service.This meant the tags I'd been using for the 2.x "copy stock bookmarks into a chrome folder" function had changed fundamentally. Previously, they'd been unique and this meant I could sync nicely between both browsers as I had a unique tag. However Google changed the value of the tag to become more of a transaction timestamp which meant that many bookmarks would now have the same tag. This really broke ChromeMarks when syncing as it kept getting the same tag back when it wasn't expecting it. Or actually, ChromeMarks didn't complain, but Google did when the changes were sent to them. And Big G's response - "Error 500".
    So some changes to ChromeMarks to change the tags being used. Unfortunately the bookmarks in the stock browser still have the non-unique tags on them which means that the next sync has to make some tough choices. You might find the first sync will generate some duplicates either in the Stock Browser and/or in the special folder in Chrome. This will be a one-off event as part of the first sync after this upgrade. After that, you can safely delete any duplicates - though obviously delete them from the Stock Browser OR from Chrome but NOT from both at the same time!
    I have already raised a Chrome bug about this. But since Google has made this change on their server and millions of people must already have the changed tags in their desktop already, it's highly unlikely that Google would ever revert it.
  3. Some of the usual bug fixes. The new auto-backup function used a piece of code that unfortunately didn't exist in the Android core on the 2.1 and some 2.2 devices. I've simply copied the code into my app and that should fix it.
That's about it for now.

First thing I've got on the list is some well overdue upgrades - sdk, compatibility library, admob, viewtitlepager. Unfortunately whenever I start making these upgrades, problems always take a while to fix...


  1. I still can't sync my local bookmarks to a folder in Chrome bookmarks.
    I'd switched this off a while ago when it stopped working and deleted the folder in my Chrome bookmarks.
    Now when I switch it on again a few bookmarks go across to Chrome then I get Unexpected Response from G: 400.
    At this point some of my local bookmarks have copied into Chrome but not all.
    Syncing again then removes the bookmarks that had not already synced from my phone so I have to restore a backup using Titanium Backup.
    Now syncing again gives Unexpected Response while syncing local bookmarks. null

  2. Hi Brian, can you send me a log so I can see what's happening..?

    Unfortunately the "copy browser bookmarks to a folder in chrome" is used by so few people, I hardly get any feedback so I don't know how well it works until someone finally emails me with a problem!

    1. In Chrome on your main computer, delete the special folder.
    2. Start ChromeMarks.
    3. Go into the settings and disable the "local sync".
    4. In ChromeMarks, click sync so it receives the deletion of the special folder.
    5. Go back into the settings and re-enable the "local sync" - make sure the "type of sync" specified further down the screen is the correct one.
    6. Click on menu, settings, advanced settings and click on "enable debugging". It might take a mo to enable.
    6. IMMEDIATELY perform a sync - do not leave the app between enabling debugging and performing the sync.
    7. When the sync finishes, click on menu, settings, advanced settings and disable the debugging.
    8. Send me the file in /sdcard/android/data/com.h.chromemarks/files/log.txt. Please note it may be quite large - feel free to zip it up if need be.

    Send to chromemarks at howardb dot com.

  3. emailed.
    Thanks for your help.